Our green choices
In recent decades the print industry has made huge advances to become one of the only sustainable sectors on the planet, planting swathes of new forest across Europe. Whitehall Printing was an early crusader of eco-friendly print, achieving FSC®-CERTIFICATION (License No. C009453) over fifteen years ago.
Additionally, Whitehall Printing has maintained the internationally recognised ISO 14001:2015 ENVIRONMENTAL STANDARD for the last decade. This accreditation recognises the achievements of the company to mitigate its wider environmental impact.
And more recently Whitehall Printing recently became a CARBON NEUTRAL organisation, balancing any emissions that can not be eradicated through investment in renewable energy projects around the world.
Here are just a few of the green choices we’ve made:
- A low-energy facility where all areas of production are annually audited to achieve ISO targets (successfully met since 2003).
- Presses, offices and finishing machinery powered by 100% renewable energy.
- Waste products, from chemicals and containers, to ink rags and light bulbs, disposed of responsibly or recycled.
- FSC®-certified papers are used as standard, made of material from well-managed FSC®-certified forests, recycled materials and other controlled sources.
- Sponsorship of a local charity, the Forest of Avon Trust helps protect and develop ancient and new forests across the South West UK.
- Membership of Two Sides, a campaigning organisation, promoting a better understanding of paper, recycling and sustainable forestry.
- Client support to reduce carbon impact by promoting the benefits of sustainably sourced and recycled papers.
- ‘Carbon Balanced’ papers offered in partnership with the World Land Trust to offset a product’s estimated C02 emissions.
- Onsite Electric Vehicle charging for visitors and staff. Supporters of bike commuters via Bristol’s Ride to Work scheme.
- Recyclable cardboard packaging and fillers are used as standard and we recycle 100% of our paper off-cuts and overs.
- Forty new trees planted in Bristol to celebrate our fortieth anniversary in 2017.
- Carbon Neutral status announced in 2022.
- New range of eco-merchandise using recycled and recyclable materials launched in 2023.
Your green choices
Whitehall Printing are always keen to show our clients just how good recycled papers have become. In many cases these stocks are no more expensive and are equal in quality and performance. We offer FSC®-certified Mix stocks which combine virgin pulp from well-managed FSC® forests with recycled materials and other controlled sources.
We use vibrant vegetable-based inks in all our lithographic, 4-colour work. Our clients often like to communicate this fact with a short mention on their print.
Significantly, Paper has one of the best recycling loops in the world. Therefore we encourage our clients to factor recyclability into their graphic design. A range of product-specific logos are available to demonstrate sustainability and to promote end-user recycling, e.g. ‘Recycle Me’ or the mobius loop. Sourced correctly, print has a positive impact on the environment, supporting the rapid expansion of well-managed pulp forests. For a wealth of research and facts on the sustainability of paper, we encourage you to visit Two Sides.
Sustainable FSC® Papers
We offer an exclusive range of FSC®-certified papers. These are regulated to strict environmental, social and economic standards.
Only licensed suppliers like Whitehall Printing are authorised to print the well-known FSC® tree symbol onto your printed goods. The symbol contains a special identifying code that allows the product’s journey to be traced through multiple organisations in a ‘Chain of Custody’. Plus, its recognised by over half the British population.
Watch this little film to see how choosing everyday FSC®-certified products can change the future of the world’s forests:
For more information visit FSC UK
DID YOU KNOW?
The forests of Europe are now 50% larger than in the 1950s thanks to sustainable forestry.
- 100% emission free deliveries in Bristol & Bath
- Renewable, mineral-free inks
- 100% of our paper off-cuts (around three tons a week) are collected and recycled
- Waste chemistry is safely disposed by an environmental waste specialist
- Our studio communicates with the presses digitally, negating the need for film
- Our Heidelberg presses use CIP3 technology which help reduce 'make ready' waste by a huge 85%
- Where possible and effective, orders are boxed in cardboard rather than plastic casing